|Built by:||Fifth Mughal Emperor, Shah Jahan|
|Time Period:||22 years (1631 – 1653)|
|Estimated Money Spent:||35 million rupees|
|Number of artisans involved:||20000 approximately|
|Location:||Banks of River Yamuna in Agra, India|
|Timings:||6am to 7pm (closed on Fridays and public holidays)|
|Entry Fee:||Free for children below 12 years of age|
|Non-Indians: 5 US$|
|Indians: From 8am to 4pm – Rs. 15|
|From 6am to 8am and 4pm to 7pm – Rs. 10|
|Chief Architect:||Ustad Isa Khan|
- The construction of this monument took a time period of 22 years. A workforce of 20,000 laborers was brought from here and there for building the Taj Mahal.
- People say that Shah Jahan ordered that the hands of the craftsmen and architect be chopped off after building Taj Mahal, as he did not want them to build another grand monument as this one.
- It is said that Shah Jahan had planned to build another Taj Mahal in black marble as his own tomb.
- The Taj Mahal is considered to be the seventh wonder of the world.
- The walls and dome of Taj Mahal were covered with semi precious stones and gems that were later plundered in successive wars.
- Some European scholars claim that Taj Mahal was designed by an Italian architect by the name of Geronimo Veroneo. However, there is no hard evidence to prove this claim.